The purpose of SEO is to create a great seamless user experience and be able to communicate to the search engines. Windy City Strategies wants to help you better understand the purpose of SEO and how it can help your website.
What is SEO?
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving and promoting your website on search engines such as Google, Yahoo and Bing, increasing the traffic to your website, and ensuring your website is structured in a way that the search engines understand and approve, all the while still making sure your website is user friendly.
Think of your website like a cake, it holds all the content, information architecture, content management system, and Infrastructure, as well as all the links, SEM, and Social Media. Without your links, paid search, or social media, you have no icing for the cake. Your content, information architecture, content management system and infrastructure acts as the sugar and without those important factors, your cake will have no taste and will be boring.
What Search Engines Are Looking For
Search engines want to make sure they can refer users to your website and content that is more relevant to what they are looking for.
- Content is being determined by the theme and text on a page that is given and the titles and descriptions.
- Performance is how fast your site is and if it works effectively
- Authority is how good enough your content is on your site and do other sites use your website as a reference.
- User experience is how your site looks, and how easy it is to navigate through.
However, if you try to trick the search engines, you are only going to hurt yourself in the long run. Here is what they are not looking for:
- Keyword stuffing, or overusing keywords on your pages
- Avoid purchasing links, since they will get you no where in SEO
- Poor user experience will make users turn away quick
For more information about search engine optimization, or for a solution for your business’s specific needs, contact Windy City Strategies today.